Touch weight

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:16:52 -0500

Hi Jon,

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from?  Maybe you'll expound a
little?

My thinking is a little 'simple' in nature, but it all goes back to a physics
class I took a few years back.  If you take a simple lever and place it upon a
fulcrum such that there is a 5 to 1 ratio from one side to the other, any weight
added or subtracted from either side would also have to follow that same 5 to 1
ratio in order to balance. (perhaps in inverse fashion? It's been a few years...)
What my mind was telling me was that the same ratio would follow through
regardless whether there was one fulcrum, or whether there were three or four
pivot points (action).   It goes through quite a contortion to do it, but in
making it as simple as it gets, the key goes down, the hammer goes up, and vise
versa, in a very specific ratio of movement.

I'm not too good with explaining what's in my head, but I think you might have an
idea of where my thoughts are.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to hear what your thinking is.  I may very well be
way off base.  Or maybe we've been talking 'apples and oranges'?  I'd sincerely
like to know.

Thanks,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa