Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 08:42:04 +1100

Hi List,
Here in Australia we don't see alot of US Steinways, they are mostly from
Hamburg.
I have a customer who is looking at two New York Mod B Steinways (both mid
'70's) with the view to purchase.  He has asked me to check them out for
him. Your expertise would be appreciated.

One is in basically original condition (including teflon action) well
prepared and apparently operating well. The piano is in a city three hours
drive away and I have yet to see it. The environment it is in now is a
seaside, humid temperate climate. If the customer buys it, it will come to
Canberra and to much drier conditions. Is my understanding of these pianos
correct in that this piano will start to exhibit noisy action
characteristics and unstable regulation? What else should I be on the
lookout for? It may be a week or two before I can get to see this one.

The other is restrung (a nice job) and has had all new action components
fitted (not so good!) and is not finished and not likely to be  (worse
still, it means that I will end up with this mess). The touchweight and
geometry must be wrong, I haven't had a chance to pull the action on this
one yet to take some measurements, but there is something very strange
happening here. *Very* shallow touch, aftertouch occurs at about half of
what key dip there is and touchweight is way high (Overweight hammer I
suspect).
It has an "accelerated action" (which I am only basically familiar with). I
intend to get there today to check this one out and take those measurements
and run a few string lines. I'll post any developments

Any clues people? Your input will be valued,

Thanx
Mark Bolsius