for Sale(money stuff)

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:33:08 -0500

Ron Nossaman wrote

> Trot out some of these new soundboard myths and let's discuss 'em.

Hi Ron,
    Don't get me wrong,  I only wonder if there aren't some myths
concerning the merits of new soundboards, and i don't pretend to know
what they might be. Occasionally old boards sound darn good when
restrung and given a new action.  I can even think of one with no
visible crown and very minimal to 0 bearing which sounds good. Some
restrung twenty years ago with the original board still sound good,
(granted most don't).  Who replaces a soundboard without replacing
everything else too?  So are we sure it's really the boards?  I just
found the prices interesting since so many in the guild hold that the
40+ boards should generally be killed.  Apparently somebody values them.
     One thought, the ruling grade in a concert grands' quality is the
killer octave.  On shorter pianos like S&S Os and Bald Ls the bass could
well be the ruling grade.  Isn't it true that bass tone improves when
the board loses some crown and grows tired?  Makes me wonder if the new
boards are so manditory in the less than seven footers.
-Mike
careful now, I'll be 40 this year!