pin blocks, was Steinway pin block removal

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:12:16 -0600 (CST)

>Hi all,
>Can some tell me if there is a significant differance in the tuning
>stability between Bolduc and Delignit pinblocks?
>Yesterday for the first time I saw a Bollduc block on the Frankfurter Misik
>Messe, and Mr Taffijn from Belgium who imports them told me that they are a
>lot more expensive than Delignit. Are they worth the extra $$$ or €  €  € ?
>Michiel van Loon
>Meppel
>Holland

Hi Michiel,

Both blocks are fine as far as gripping tuning pins and not doing anything
weird, but the drilling requirements are different for installation. The
Bolduc block will be drilled with a smaller bit size than the Delignit, for
a given tuning pin size, and will be more tolerant to work with. The drill
size isn't nearly as critical with the Bolduc block since there is more
"spring back" in the thicker laminations. The feel of the pins will be a
little different than Delignit too. Not necessarily better or worse, just a
little different. They are both good blocks, it's just a matter of what you
chose to work with.

 Ron