5-minute pitchraise

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 07:30:57 -0500

Hi Orlando,

I've been playing with some of the pitch raise suggestions especially since
this thread came up, and I'll let you in on what seems to work out for me.

I usually tune a pretty elaborate temperment, but for the 'quickie pitch
raise', I'll use a very simple temperment and not even bother to do the checks
and such.  Just put it in the ball park.  It won't stay there anyway!
(Actually, after you do a few of these, you may be surprised at just how close
your 'quickie' temperment is.  After you've heard some of those intervals over
and over and over, they start to become a little more automatic in your being
able to just 'hear' them and know they're close.  And another advantage of
doing it quickly is that the strings won't have time to change as much from
temperment note to temperment note as you tune them.  (You'll likely have a
better temperment by going fast than by going slow.  Boy, that goes against
the grain doesn't it???)

If you haven't tried it, try doing as least some of your unisons (the ones in
the middle are the easiest for me) without a mute at all.  It sounds horrible,
but if you listen carefully, you can 'pick out' the string you already tuned
as well as the string you're tuning and ignore that last string which is way
off from where you're tuning.  Try it.  You'll get better at it as you
persist.

Just some misc. ramblings.  Have a good day.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa

P.S.   It'll probably take you more than 5 minutes for the full tuning.  You
should count on 10 to 15 minutes at least till you get the hang of it.  It's
like anything else, you'll get better as you Do it!