pitch raise

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 07:40:03 -0600 (CST)

> When you are doing a pitch raise, in most cases when
>the string comes up to the proper pitch, you can hear the tone bloom. It is
more
>obvious in some areas of the piano than others but it will occur in pianos
that are as
>much as 20 cents flat. If  the piano is not up to pitch, the downbearing on the
>soundboard will be insufficient to produce the best tone. Am I hearing
things or am I
>right?
>
>Norman Barrett
>Memphis, TN

You're right. Loading the board increases the impedance and brings it up to
what the strings are producing and the change in sound is very obvious in
some pianos. The soundboard age, design, and construction method will
determine the tolerance. In the case where 20 cents makes that much
difference, the soundboard assembly is on the ragged edge of functionality
and isn't, in my opinion, in the best possible shape. In a well designed and
built assembly, you get that sound improvement at a much lower string
piano's at pitch and in service in the cold cruel world. Either that, or I'm
building soundboards with too high impedance, which I doubt.

 Ron