A Question re: Stealing Customers??

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:00:17 EST

Stealing customers?

Many of the members on this list are very leery of discussing tuning fees.
This has to do with "restraint of trade" issues, which ultimately cause
customers to lose the benefits of competition, generally price competition,
when anti-competitive agreements are made. This type of restraint of trade is
justifiably unlawful.

Consider the real professionals out there, the veterinarians, doctors,
dentists, etc. It is an everyday occurrence for them to lose patients to other
practitioners, or to gain patients from them. They refer to each other. This
is good. Think of the second opinions you might have gotten, or the number of
dentists you went through before finding one whose style suited you. Not a
darn thing wrong with this.

If you hesitate to assume another technician's customer, you would in essence
be fostering "restraint of trade", which is unprofessional and goes against
the common good.

I live in a big city with a hundred tuners. Customers come and go, it is a
fact of business and I don't know of anybody that gets upset.  A small town
which might comfortably support only one tuner might actually have two or
three borderline successful tuners, and customer transfers would be better
known. In this case I suggest that it is even more important take on every
customer as they come, do your best, let the chips fall where they may. That
is the most professional behavior, and properly exercised, should eventually
cause the worst technician to turn to other work.  This is best for the
customer's interest, so there is nothing wrong with that.

I have always seen the PTG as promoting professionalism. I have never
personally seen it used to restrain competition.

My two cents,

Bill Simon
Phoenix