A Question re: Stealing Customers??

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:53:30 -0400

Hi, List

I do not belong to the guild, but I do belong to the Venezuelan guild, I am
also one of the founders, and what I can tell you it also applies

> What position does the 'guild' take, and what position do you as
individuals
>take in
> regards to servicing a customer of another guild member?  What do you do
if
>your
> customer calls upon the 'other' tuner in town, or responds to 'their'
>advertising?
>
> What a sticky question!!

First of all, as already someone said it, you do not own a customer, A
customer can change his mind and call any other tuner, it even happened to
me and they went to tune with technicians that are very good friends of
mine. Sometimes they come back.

I personaly, when someone calls me, and if he tells me that his tuner was
...... and I know that technician, I ask the customer why he is changing, if
the answer is that he lost his phone number or can not locate him I give
them to him, (that goes under personal ethics) But if he tells me he wants
to change, I take the job.

> Right now, at least for the time being, I work for a dealer and am
somewhat
> insulated from this question.  But it's been on my mind.
>
> How do you reconcile being part of an organization where other members are
>actually
> your competition?  How do you maintain good working relationships with
those
>who are
> in direct competition for the same dollar you are after?

I just try to do my job the best I can and keep a high standard of ethics.
That is how the market works, and the idea is that we can compete, that also
heps us to keep a high standard. Also thera are customers enough for all of
us.

> I realize that in some instances there will be a division of skills among
>people.
> Some are better at tuning, some at voicing, some at regulation, some at
>bellying,
> some at refinishing...

My solution was. I am an excelent tuner, I know how to repair, but do not
enjoy it too much, so I just tune pianos. When there is a repair to be made
I send it onto a colleague of mine who just does repairs and regulations,
unles it is an emergency, then I do it on the spot. Same with refinising

> I guess at the heart of my question is this.  Relationships and a spirit
of
> comradery(sp?) are important to me.  Being able to openly share and learn
>from each
> other is very important to me.  How do you keep peace in the 'family'?
>
> I do ask these questions with a sincere heart, again not wanting to ruffle
>anyone's
> feathers.
>
> I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

In my circle. I have a group of technicians I know which have a high
standard of work, good quality and most important of all they have good
ethics. We always have been friends and never had problems with each other.
The same way you can find some individuals who are bad professionals, try to
earn customers badmouthing others, but I assure you, you will recognize them
when tey appear. In my opinion, you will find out that between professional
people you will not have any problem.

my thoughts and experience

Elian Degen
Piano Tuner and Technician
Caracas, Venezuela  degen@telcel.net.ve
Phone 58-2-748547/ 58-14-9222981 Fax 58-2-748547