wire curve

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:05:26 -0600 (CST)

At 07:32 AM 3/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>    Stringing where the curves are mixed horizontal and vertical modes
>look very unlevel before chipping, therefore require more leveling at
>pitch.

* Do they? Have you tested this?

>Also wonder if it increases the tendency of some to climb
>bridge pins.

* I very strongly doubt it. I still maintain that strings don't climb bridge
pins, but that the string crushes the bridge cap edges by wood expansion of
the bridge while being held down by the pin. I also still maintain that a
string that appears to be up a bridge pin is still resting on the center of
the bridge.

>Could it be related to the ability of some unisons to
>couple better, i.e same variances between prompt and aftersound pitch,
>i.e resulting in more sustain?

* Possibly, but it should be a fairly easily measurable cause and effect
phenomenon, shouldn't it? For all the traffic given to the curve orientation
concept, I've never heard of any evidence to this effect.

>A string from an 80 year old piano
>still bends when removed so therefore it is a force acting on the string
>and thus affecting the tone.

* The tone is possibly affected by this on some level, also by microscopic
differences in bridge notching, hammer surfacing, hammer hardness, string
leveling, bridge pin tightness, soundboard impedance, humidity level,
temperature, and dust accumulation. The point is that it doesn't seem to be
a big enough factor to be above the threshold of the subliminal.

IMHO there are some affects which should
>not be dismissed only because no scientific testing has been done.
>-Mike

* Nor should they be assumed, and for the same reason.

 Ron