Grand Makes Tracks

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 00:11:01 -0700

Sy

We have a hardwood floor and, unfortunately, not all hardwoods are truly
hard. Our Steinway upright with the double rubber wheel school casters
leaves very noticeable tracks but our Yamaha C3 with the Jansen square
cup dollies with the 4 outrigger wheels leaves no dents or tracks
whatsoever. Don't know how they would do on a concert grand but you
might ask Paul Jansen or Bob Marinelli (Pianotek).

Derivative thought: fasten a plate in place of each caster assembly so
that two casters per leg could be attached. If you're concerned about
the piano being raised too high, you might put the auxilliary plates on
top of the spider which would lower the piano a little.

Also, I noticed at Cal State Convention that Bob Marinelli had some
spiffy-looking moving dollies with soft tires. Maybe he would have some
ideas about where to get friendlier wheels.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA