Unusual brass rail problem

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 02:00:16 EST

In a message dated 2/27/99 6:30:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, tcole@cruzio.com
writes:

<< For years I've tuned a 1902 Kimball upright that was rebuilt by another
 tech about 15 years ago. The brass rail was left original with several
 repair clips affixed thereto but the owner was warned of subsequent
 finger breakage down the road. I wondered why the rail wasn't replaced
 when breakage was already obvious. What's another few hundred dollars to
 a successful dentist? The piano is a family heirloom and the case was
 nicely restored.

 Recently, yet another hammer came loose and I suggested that maybe now
 was the time to do the proper repair. They agreed and the action is now
 sitting in my shop with hammers and dampers removed, the brittle brass
 having been sent off to be duplicated.

 Thursday morning, 6 AM, I got a call from Kathy at Schaff. I was about
 to be enlightened. "Sorry, we do not duplicate double brass rails."
 Oh...

 At that time in the morning, I was at a loss for a response to that
 piece of information except to have her send them back. I've been toying
 since with the idea that I'll either make my own duplicates or search
 for a machinist who is willing.

 Anyone know of someone who is set up to do this kind of ticklish work?
 Schaff's machine duplicates single-sided only.

 BTW, the balance rail area of the keys is unusual in that the balance
 pins, which are held tightly in the keys, slip into felt bushed slots in
 a rail which hovers over the balance pins. And I have no idea how you
 square the keys.

 Tom
 --
 Thomas A. Cole, RPT
 Santa Cruz, CA

 If the rail cannot be duplicated, and money is not a great issue, you may
want to change to wood flanges. It is not as difficult as it seems.  I have
done one successfully, but not Kimballs.  The damper systems being brass as
well, is definately an added cost.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter