vintage steinway caster search

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:39:20 -0600

>Keith:
>	If I am correct, these have a brass ferrule at the bottom, with the
>caster integral with it.  I also needed to replace a set some time ago.
>It's been a while, but I remember being able to remove the caster from
>the brass ferrule, and drill the ferrule large enough for a caster from
>a supply house...
>	Paul McCloud, RPT

Yes, I've done one of these before also, and it worked great, but since
that was before Internet time for me, I mentioned to the customer I would
at least ask the list.

I do like your idea of managing to utilize the original ferrules. as I used
a current set from Apsco and custom fitted it.  The rest of the process is
as you have described.  Do you happen to recall how you managed to remove
the stem without destroying the original ferrule?

BTW: These have 3 mounting screws.

Thank you for responding.

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net