Steinway teflon - solution?

fndango@azstarnet.com fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:12:13 -0700

After Ed Foote's post about stabilizing wooden flanges with an epoxy
solution, I seem to remember someone posting to the effect that S&S
would never try that. I wonder why not? They used to use the same
technique with paraffin oil (or was it mutton tallow)? That had its long
term problems in another area, but it seems that S&S would be very
interested in a technique that would make teflon more practical. After
all, they started using teflon, I understand, as a major cost-cutting
measure in bushing flanges. It would presumably still save them a lot of
money if they could implement teflon bushings in their mfg. process.

Aside from the stability issue, the thing I dislike about teflon
bushings is that they seem to be very fragile. I have routinely had
trouble voicing hammers w/ teflon bushings without damaging the teflon.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ