smaller or larger?

Ken Jankura kenrpt@cvn.net
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:07:24 -0500

At 05:13 PM 2/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>..I had to replace a bass string today on a Grand..it was left for me by
>the previous tooner..anyway, I carry enough wire with me to re-string
>most pianos, but this particular size fell right in between what I had
>with me. So in a case like this, where you don't have the exact size
>Universal to replace a bass string with, should you go with the thicker
>density or the thinner?
>
>I replaced it with the thinner.
>
>Rook

I've always wondered the same thing, also what is more important, keeping
the core wire the same (which I think determines the inharmonicity) or the
outer wrap. You never seem to get both. I generally try for the same core
wire size. In a somewhat related manner, I've had to splice a few bass
strings recently using 18-1/2 wire onto a core wire of 21, which of course
won't work, but did. And I promise to write in if I get a call that the
splice didn't last :-)
 Ken Jankura
 Newburg, PA