Glass Harmonium

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:01:17 -0800

Also called the Glass Harmonica.  The bowls turn on a spindle in a shallow tray of water.  The sound is made by moistening the fingers in the water, and touching the rims of the rotating bowls, as when obnoxious people such as myself 'play' wine glasses at an otherwise polite soiree, much to the consternation of the other more genteel guests.  Variously described as angelic music or  likened to fingernails on a chalkboard,  it is said to have been invented by Benjamin Franklin, and both Beethoven and Mozart wrote short works for it.  Personally, I love the sound. Keep in mind, however, I play wine glasses at parties.
Steve
>>> "David ilvedson" <ilvey@jps.net> 02/25 11:17 PM >>>
List,

I was tuning today for the Ballet and came across an unusual
(for me) instrument in the pit.  It looked like a tube shaped
desk.  Inside were numerous glass bowls cupped into each
other from large to small.  I would presume they are played
with a mallet?  Anyone have any info on these devices.  By
the way it was being used in the Ballets's "Othello" production.

David Ilvedson
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net