(Fwd) Re: Maathushek Pianos

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:44:52 EST

In addition to the the notes by Jim (Steve Shroeder's collection - However, if
Mathushek had a chance he might have burned the thing, as Dolge said that
Mathushek gave him permission to do to a bunch of old "upside-down" actions of
Mathushek's manufacture), Susan (another reason to buy Fostle's interesting
book, which I have read 1/3 of while standing at the bookstands at Border's)
and others, I will add the following:

Frederick Mathushek was an innovator in the piano industry in the 19th
Century, and these exploits are discussed in Dolge's book, Pianos and their
Makers.  Dolge worked alongside Mathushek in one of Mathushek's piano
companies, the New Haven, Conn., Mathushek Piano Company, begun in 1866 (Dolge
p. 323).  Dolge considers Mathushek the founder of the modern hammer press,
which Dolge refined to become the press used for most hammers in the early
20th century (Dolge p. 100).  Two Mathushek pianos are pictured in the Michel
book, "Old Pianos" - the "Orchestral" or "Cocked Hat" piano, which is a four-
legged small grand with and unusual shape, built  in about 1850. The music
desk is quite ornate and beautiful.  Also pictured in this book is a small
vertical.

I have encountered a full size vertical Mathushek which had two unusual
features.
Most notable was the use of a spring which supported the hammer/butt assembly
prior to checking.  This seemed to me to be the closest to the grand piano's
repetition lever;  still, it was much different then the Langer idea of a
spring to attempt to control the jack's return, found on many European and
some American vertical pianos;  the Langer concept was not included in the
Mathushek, I believe.  (I would like to have the opportunity to work with this
action since the Fandrich/Trivelas class I took at the Portland 1989
convention.)

This piano also used no pinblock.  Instead, the plate webbing was cast to
accomodate a full-length plate bushing, which was replacable.  I both regret
and am relieved that I did not purchase this piano, which I encountered for
sale in the San Gabriel Valley in approximately 1980.    I remember discussing
a similar piano with Ed Whitting at about the same time.

Bill Shull
U of Redlands, La Sierra U
Loma Linda, CA
BDShull@aol.com