Grand Knuckles

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:31:51 EST

David writes:
> I’ll admit that I dont perform this a lot and
>found no real application to semi-restore the shape with yarn,
>action cloth strips etc. I hate to stab at it without first finding any
>input. Any suggestions? I’m sure that replacement knuckles would
>be the answer but this is a music teacher and it always seems to be
>that they are maintaining on a budget.

     Greetings,
      I would point out the critical nature of this most important part of the
action to the customer, and strongly suggest that they are throwing money away
trying to stretch the use of old parts. NEW HAMMER? NEW KEY BUSHING? REPIN THE
SHANKS? And leave worn out knuckles in there?  Why?  If you have all the
shanks off for repinning,  the time needed to replace is not much different
than repair.  There is a case to be made here for replacing the shanks with
the hammers. The shanks are almoist as "non-durable" as the hammers, so it is
usually better value to replace when considerable age is involved.
     Skilled labor for expensive equipment can't be had for less than $60 an
hour on most things,( call a computer repairman,refridgerator repairperson,
plumber, car mechanic, etc).  It will be cheaper to replace  than repair, and
the results are totally different.

<pulls out big soapbox, dusts it off, clambers up with coffee cup in hand
(:+)}}>
      You know the right thing to do for this action, it is up to you to sell
them the right job! (hammers, keybushing, pinning, regulation..........they
are so close to having an uncompromised action!, why drop the ball over the
difference between old bolstered knuckles and a new set of perfect ones?
Regards,
Ed