Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:43:51 -0600

Hi Wim,
             I'm not so sure that this is comparing apples with apples.
With the concert situation and 15min we are usually just cleaning up a few
unisons on a concert performing piano that should be well maintained and in
good condition. The concert pianos that I frequently work on are like old
friends, and I am in tune to their subtle changes, the few hammers that
tend to be harsh the few strings that want to hang up ect. For the concert
I feel faceless at stage left.
This summer for the first time I'm teaching two classes at KC. You can bet
that I have a healthy amount of fear. What will the response be? How large
a class? Will I perform to expectation? and so the list goes on. 50 Peers
with good ears making judgments. And 50 voices that can, and should,
challenge my every word. IMO this is pressure.
When ever we are under the microscope, we feel the heat, no matter the
situation.
Regards Roger

>Les;
>
>If you think there is pressure performing for a class, or taking an exam,
what
>do you think tuning for a concert will be like. When you're only given 15
>minutes to make a piano sound good, so that the perforrner can sound good in
>front of an audience of 1000 poeple, that is presure that is more intense
than
>a tuning exam will ever give you.
>
>Wim

Roger Jolly