tuning exam what it *is* and what it *is not*

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:43:40 -0500

Jim, thanks for taking the time to fully explain the following..my comments are
dispersed throughout..

"Jim Coleman, Sr." wrote:

> Second, the time limit is quite generous. 45 minutes to tune one string each
> over a two octave range aurally (octaves 3 & 4). This is Part 1.

this is plenty of time, in my not-so-humble opinion.

> Part 2.
> involves tuning the Treble, High treble, and & Bass (one string per note)
> and the time allowed in 60 minutes. Again this should not be considered a
> time restraint, but it quite generous.

i couldn't agree more.

> Next, another 30 minutes is allowed
> for tuning out the unisons in octaves 3 & 4. This makes a total of 2
> hours and 15 minutes and the piano is still not completely tuned.

Jim, the time element should not be a factor for this test..are you suggesting from
your original post that the tolerances be relaxed?..given the time allowed to perform
the tasks at hand, i would respectfully disagree that tolerances be relaxed..if one
wants to become a RPT, this is the standard that we must abide by..and as far as I
can see, it gives anyone who has worked in the field AND done some studying a fair
shot at acheiving RPT status.

> I like your conclusion: All that matters is unisons.

you have been preaching this to me for 2 years now..I believe you have said: "the
most important tuning you will ever do is unison tuning"..

how about developing a bonus section of the test involving Unison tuning in the 7th
octave?

i'm rambling!,

Rook