Green chalk on Steinway keyframe

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:05:35 -0700

Lance:  Is there any chance of your using a "wet" pickup of that stuff.
I am not referring to water, but rather to a solvent such as naptha that
will NOT do anything to the wood.  I would be really cautious about
vacuuming it up as I haven't seen a vac bag or filter that stops
everything - as when things get small enough they will go through.  The
same goes for blowing this stuff - IF it is toxic the last thing you want
to do is make it airborn.
AND - before going to any extreme measures, it might be prudent to
carefully scrape a small amount of it into a plastic bag and take the
stuff to someone that analize it to determine if it is a poison or not.
Just some thoughts based on my handling mouse-ridden pianos that may have
been carriers of hanta-virus.

John R. Fortiner

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:04:51 -0600 "Lance Lafargue"
<lafargue@iamerica.net> writes:
>I think I may take it outdoors, wear a mask, and vacuum it or blow it.
>
>Thanks to all.
>
>LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
>LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
>New Orleans Chapter
>Mandeville, LA.
>_______________________________
>II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
>lafargue@iamerica.net
>
>----------
>> From: Phil Bondi <tito@PhilBondi.com>
>> To: pianotech@ptg.org
>> Subject: Re: Green chalk on Steinway keyframe
>> Date: Thursday, February 11, 1999 7:01 PM
>>

>> Lance Lafargue wrote:
>>
>> > I am working on a 1913 model O Steinway with_lots_of bright green
>> > chalk-like
>> > powder on the keyframe and I was reviewing a post Dick Powell
>made
>months
>> > ago about it possibly being arsenic.
>>
>> If it's what I think it is, this powder is/was used to keep away
>> rodents..Vacuum and discard.
>>
>> >   Would it help grow my hair back?
>>
>> try it and get back to me!
>>
>> Rookie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]