Steinway Damper Afterring

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 21:29:01 -0600

My grand piano, not a Steinway, (alas) started having damper after-ring.
Got much worse after 7 days. The damper lift blocks had slipped down on
the damper wires.  It didn't appear this had happened until I actually
unscrewed one, raised it, reset it, and then found it did damp. This was
in the lower bass dampers.  Of course when these don't damp,  they overing
when upper notes are played.   It sounded like the whole piano was not
dampening. They (these bass dampers) did appear to be off the damper lift
rail, but in actuality  not enough. (perpaps the lift rail warped but I
doubt it, this was in a dry heated house).   Looks in this case were
deceiving.
Tricky (for me) to track down.     ---trickyric.