Who'd a thunk it?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:00:12 EST

At the begining of this almost finished century we 'could' write a letter to
Mr. Holden way down/over yonder in NZ and 'hope' that he would get it in two
or three or four months. Now we can sit at home and contact him almost
instantaneously !

At the begining of this almost finished century we still relied on a sextant
and chronometer to navigate around the globe. Very accurate timepieces and
very reliable sextants were 'very' expensive and relied on the skill and
knowledge of the operator as to accuracy of navigation. Then, 'accuracy' was
considered acceptable if you came within two or three miles of an intended
destination after a journey of 1,000 miles. Today I saw an advertisement for
a 12 station GPS, accurate to within 300 feet...this thingee sells for
$139.00.

At the begining of this almost finished century the most accurate 'computer'
was still the Abacus and perhaps the punch cards used in the textile
industry, though the latter were not 'really' computers. Today, as we end
this century, we carry more computing power around in our Palm Pilots then
was available to take man to the moon, develop atomic power, or determine the
speed of light.

At the begining of this almost finished century average life span was aprox
50 years. At the end, average life span is approaching aprox 80 years.
At the begining of this almost finished century disease/epidemic/early death
shaped our lives and led what is now 'history' in unpredictable ways. Now as
this century closes we have gained knowledge and changed the future by
erradicating, for all practical purposes, some of the most malevolent
diseases and controling many others.............who can say where we would be
if this were not the case?

At the begining of this almost finished century we enjoyed music written in a
prior century and thank goodness we will still enjoy the same music into the
next century and beyond. What a pleasure it is to participate, in some small
way, in a continuum of such magnitude. One which, ignoring all the temporal
advances, remains as a constant, although everchanging, influence on our
lives and on our work. A continuum which provides us a glance into our souls,
our past, our present and even into our future.

Thank you all and.................Happy New Year All!!!
Jim Bryant (FL)