Help on repairs!!

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 22:07:30 EST

In a message dated 12/30/99 1:12:03 AM Central Standard Time, bkidd@tilc.com
writes:

<< > Dear list:

 > The piano is a Cable-Nelson Ser.#316422 (1948-49) I have tuned the piano
for
 > about 10 years. Many times they call me about keys that do not work. Mainly
 > in octaves 4 and 5 (F#-A-4: G-A#-5) The problem: The keys will work several
 > times, then the jack fails to return under the hammer butt. If you work at
 > little it will go back under and then work for several more times >>

What happens on one of the problem keys if you play it with the sustain pedal
engaged and then let the key return very slowly? Will the jack always return
like it should or will it only work when the key and action is given a little
momentum to return to rest?

I have found, especially on a lot of consoles, that the action parts are too
light to positively return everything fully without some momentum helping it
along. Just the friction between the key capstan and the wippen felt can be
enough to cause problems. Since it seems to be a design flaw more than
anything, you might consider adding some key weights.

Dave Bunch