rare and unsual was Tuesday evening's tuning

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:14:40 EST

In a message dated 12/24/99 2:52:23 AM !!!First Boot!!!, nlm@csu.cted.net
writes:

<< Hi Willem,

 What would be your take on rare and unusual circumstances for restoring
 pianos?

 Have a great holiday.

 Doug Mahard, Associate >>

Doug:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We just came back from 4 days in
Colorado.

Rare and unusual pianos are those of extraordinary or exceptional quality, or
unusual case design. There were some companies that stayed in business only
for a short period of time, but still produced a very good piano, as
described above. So this list is not limited to Steinway, Baldwin Chickering,
etc. However, even those brands were subjected to unusual conditions, that
would make them irreparable at an acceptable cost.

But because we make money working on pianos, and there are customers who
don't seem to understand the problems that pianos can develop, there will be
occasions when we must rebuild a piano, even against our better judgment.

Case in point. About 15 years ago a man called and told me he had a "concert
grand" on his pickup truck and wanted to deliver it to my shop so I could
rebuild it. When he got there, it was an old upright. It did have "concert
grand" on the fall board. He bought it at an antique store in the Ozark
Mountains, and he was bound and determined to have me rebuild it. After
analyzing the piano, I told him what I could do, and how much it was going to
be. But also warned him what I could not do, and what the end result was
going to be. I basically tried to talk him out of having me do the work. He
still had me do it, and paid me for my work. The only reason he wanted this
piano was because it had his last name on the fall board. (It wasn't a name I
recognized, but it was mentioned in the Atlas.)

So what is my take on rare and unusual?  Is, whatever the customer is willing
to pay, a correct answer?   You be the judge.

Willem Blees