A nice suprise fix

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:22:44 +0100

Grin

I thought I probably had written so quickly that there would be some
misunderstanding.

What I did exactly was this..

I started at the treble side of the soundboard wedged out the soundboard and
drilled holes through the soundboard and ribs and inserted bolts to be able to
pull the soundboard and ribs tight together again. I then tightened each of
these bolts (without epoxy). I wanted to pull the whole board in and let it rest
for a couple days before doing anything else. I did this to each rib before
moving to the next position basswards. After getting to the center of the panel
I noticed that the ribs were being pulled towards the treble end.

There was almost nothing left of the origional glue holding the ribs in place
you see, so as I wedged out the board (using wedges between the ribs and
backposts) in each new position, the rib was able to give a bit along its glue
line. Drilling, and bolting tight held them in place. By the time I got all the
way over to the bass end of the board, the ends of the ribs had moved quite
signifigantly. The board  was pushed out quite a bit with all the wedging, the
holes drilled and bolted after wedging you see.... from right to left side one
after the other... if you get my meaning.

None of this would have worked had the ribs not been able to move due to the
lack of remaining old glue.

After a couple days I repeated the same sequence to apply the epoxy between the
ribs and board. Started on the treble end, loosened the bolts, worked epoxy
between the ribs and board, tightened the bolts, and moved basswards to repeat
the process. This kept things as they were.

The next day I removed these bolts and started drilling out the 149 screw holes
that had been there from an earlier "repair".  All of these had been along rib
lines and pretty much covered the lenght of all ribs. So I drilled in far enough
on each of these that I could use a 6mm dowel to force the epoxy (thin stuff..
west system) into every possible nick and cranny. I just filled up the holes and
slowly forced the dowels into the holes. The stuff ozzed out on each side of the
ribs in several places. But in the end all holes were filled and all that
remained was to let it dry, and sand down the dowels and board and give it a
quick coat of lack.

Having done that, I finnally got to remove the wedging, and thats where I really
got suprised, tho now that I think about it all it shouldnt have suprised me at
all. There was all kinds of crown. How strong and durable this crown is remains
to be seen of course.

One could work up a job routine to do all this on purpose in cases with little
or no remaining crown, by simply securing the treble end of each rib with
bolts.. and then loosining the rest of each rib so they are free to move along
their glue lines as you force the board out in the above described fashion.

Grin.. Hope this is easier to understand,, tho explanations are definately not
my forte.  If not I will gladly try again in a private note to you.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway