Trouble setting string

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 21:54:43 EST

<<<<<<"As with tuning any piano, your last motion with the hammer should be

'up'
Jon; ">>>>>>

<<<<"Interesting observation. Care to elucidate? :-)

Jim Bryant (FL)">>>>

<<"I almost agree with Jon.  I am finding many times the last motion of the

pin is "up"
Ric ">>Mctune

Ric, Jon;
 I don't have a quarrel with whether the pin setting is done with an "up" or
a "down" motion....as long as the pin/string is truly set :-) As long as the
pin is not torqued, i.e has an unrelieved twist, either method will work
fine.  Personnaly I prefer leaving the pin with a "down" motion and allow the
torque/twist to keep/bring the thingee where it ought to be............on
some pianos though this just flat won't work and then your technique has to
be altered to what will work.
Jim Bryant (FL)