pitch lowering

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:05:43 -0700 (MST)

Hi Phil:

In many cases, it is best to tune the pianos high. The reason the factory
tunes them high is that they know that the piano will drop more sooner than
later. It is our experience that if a new piano is tuned at pitch on the
sales floor, it will drop almost a half step by the end of the year with
the new owner. Leaving it a little high if the dealer agrees will do more
for the longevity of the tuning than if you lower the pitch. It's coming
down anyway. Dealers hate to pay for a pitch raise in the customer's
home after delivery when it is a free tuning for the customer at the
dealer's expense.

Jim Coleman, Sr.