pitch lowering

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:57:22 -0600

Hi Phil,
            Both Baldwin and Yamaha piano's arrive about 10cents sharp, we
tune
them on average after 2 weeks, where ever they are sitting. ( Generally
between
441 to 442)
Use the pitch feature of the SAT to your advantage.  Mother nature will look
after the pitch correction within about 60days.
The sharp tunings by the manufacturers, is done to help speed up stability,
dropping the pitch is counter productive.
If the Asian pianos are Korean, tap the coils so they are tight, as well as
seating the stringings at the bridge. You will find you will now need to raise
the pitch to A440.
If the dealer demands A440, make sure he is aware that your tunings will
not be
as stable.
Regards Roger

At 07:21 AM 23/12/99 -0500, you wrote:

> I'm a "sort-of" newbie who just got his first piano-related job of tuning
new
> pianos for a dealer who specializes in Asian pianos.  Most (all) of these
> pianos come eight cents SHARP.  I presume they are tuned at 442 in their
> country of origin.  What's the best way to bring them down?  I find that by
> just knocking each note down to pitch, they have a tendency to creep back up
> and I usually have to go over the piano twice. ( I use the SAT.)  Is there a
> method I can use to avoid this extra step?    I'd appreciate any experience
> anyone has in this area.
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil Ryan

Roger Jolly