Coast-to-Coast Transport of Grand in Winter

gutlo gutlo@bestweb.net
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:56:51 -0500

----------
> From: Wimblees@AOL.COM
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Coast-to-Coast Transport of Grand in Winter
> Date: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 7:40 PM
>
> Patrick:
>
> When I asked Keyboard to move a Bechstein from St. Louis to Houston, they

> would not guarantee the piano. From my experience with Keyboard, they do
an
> excellent job. However, from the time it gets picked up in Houston,
> transported to Lexington, KY, then transported to New York, it could take
as
> long as 3 - 6 weeks. At this time of year, there is no telling what will
> happen to the temperature and conditions on the truck.
>
> My suggestions is to either wait for warmer weather, or move the piano to
New
> York yourself.
>
> Willem

Excellent advice.  I personally witnessed what happend to a new Bechstein
grand that arrived in Chicago  in the dead of winter and was moved to NYC.
The finish cracked (all over the piano).  Even the soundboard "varnish"
cracked.

Arthur Grudko