Perfect Pitch Revisited... LONG

Steven Lewis Schteev@flash.net
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:19:09 -0600

I thought you might all find this interesting.  I saved this from another newslist
several years ago, (I think, Pipe Organs).  I didn't save the author's name,
forgive me for not being able to attribute it to the rightful author.
She has a lot of interesting things to say about perfect pitch.  It's well worth
the long read.
Steven Lewis
Ft Worth, TX
------------------
Since this discussion was going on a week ago when I was on vacation, and I was
addressing
what had been written then when I wrote before, and perhap some people with
questions
should re-read some of those things that were written last week.  The ones about
and by
people with absolute pitch seemed pretty accurate to me. Andrew Lane asked: When
you say
you hear "wrong" notes, do you just mean a singer singing the right note slightly
off-pitch, or
actually singing the wrong note?
Indeed, either or both.
Wouldn't any alert listener notice a "wrong" note, even without absolute/relative
pitch?

I would hope so, but they would have to know the music pretty well to determine,
right off the
bat, whether the "wrong" note is wrong or not, i .e. if it fits in with the chord,
it isn't so
noticeable, and such. I fear that for you to describe having perfect pitch to me
is like describing
colour to one born blind, but I'm fascinated by the idea.

I can say a few things that would maybe help, because some people on the List have
made some
observations and asked some questions, but with no real answers forthcoming, and
also because it
is my belief that most of us with absolute pitch really do not discuss it much,
and it really is
difficult to discuss, actually, because a lot of people don't understand it.  But
I'll make a small
attempt.  I *will* point out that some of these things can be done also by people
with much
experience or training, but to whom they do *not* come naturally, and it is
sometimes really hard
for me to draw any line between where natural abilitty ends and training begins.

I'll also say that I prefer the term "absolute" pitch, but for no other reason
than the word "perfect"
bothers me, and I never knew what it meant anyway.  I will also say that, in my
humble or
not-so-humble opinion, people with absolute pitch are not of the same amount of
intelligence or
ability to adjust, so what "throws" some might not throw others.  I discovered
that in my theory
class in college.

Someone on the List was debating whether one was actually born with this ability
or is it
learned.  Of course, one is born with the ability, just as a person with a
photographic memory is
born with that ability, or a natural athlete is born with extraordinary
coordination.  While others
may be *taught* something that comes close to the same ability, these people are
born with
ability and so it never has to be learned.  That's the way it is with the pitch
memory.  There are
many skilled musicians who, after years of work and experience, may be able to
approximate it,
but the thought processes in arriving there is not the same, and the person with
absolute pitch
already knew these things from an early age, without ever having to learn it in
the first place.
Someone suggested it is learned because you have to know the name of the note to
identify it.
That is not true, any more than you need to know words in order to think.  Being
able to label
things, of course, is most handy, whether is is language or musical notation.
But, a person with
absolute pitch *knows* whether a note is a note, whether or not he knows the
actual name of it.
So, one person remembers a note two minutes later.  A person with absolute pitch
remembers it
twenty years later, or forty, just as you might see an Aardvark once, and twenty
years later can
still recognize that it's an aardvark.

Before I could talk, I could sing.  And when I sang (albeit without words), I
consistently sang
(or hummed as the case may be) *in the same key* as I heard it on the radio or on
the recording.
This is something my mother noticed.  When I began piano lessons at the age of 5,
the teacher
would play the music for me, and I then knew it from memory, without ever having
learned to
read the music.  I took music lessons for a whole year before it dawned on my
parents that I was
not reading music. (Needless to say, they were *very* unhappy with the piano
teacher.) This is
typical of a person with pitch recognition, and it happens more than music
teachers would like to
admit.

Being able to come up with a pitch using tricks (such as knowing the lowest note
you can sing
and determining other notes from that) is a knowledgeable thing to do, and smart,
and if it works,
why not; but it is only a *tool* used to be able to help one's self, and others,
out.  The person with
absolute pitch has no tricks.  If someone says, "B-flat," the note just pops into
your head, like
magic, just as if someone says, "hummingbird," and the picture of a hummingbird
pops into your
head.  You don't *guess* the note You don't *determine* the note off of something
else.  You
*know* the note.  (Yes, you would know the note even if you don't read music and
cannot label
it.) Of course, you are most attuned to the tuning you were brought up with as a
child (i.e. A440),
but you can adjust to most anything. (Some adjust more easily than others.) If you
are interested
in this and pursue it avidly, and hone it, you can even differentiate (and be able
to *label*)
between A440 and A450, or whatever.  If you don't want to be bothered (like me),
you don't
bother to go that far, *except* that you know you could do it *if* you felt like
bothering to do it.
(If you know what I mean.)

I am long past the days when I was a child and eager to please and, like a trained
monkey,
performed these little tricks for people at my father's or teacher's bidding.  As
soon as I knew the
names of notes, I knew what they were *every time* I heard them, and I could sing
any note
anyone wanted me to, *in a split second,* without having to think about it.  Of
course, with
such "parlor tricks," as you grow older, you become aware that different people's
pianos (or
whatever instrument) are tuned differently, and your "A" may not be the same as
the current
instrument in any given room.  They could play one note, or a chord, or a
conglomeration of
notes, and I identified each and every one of them--instantly.  The only problem I
ever run into is
with overtones, e.g. hearing notes that aren't actually being pressed down on the
piano because
they are overtones of notes that are have been struck.

>From the age I learned to read music, I have been able to instantly lift any piece
of music from a
recording.  I first did this in choral parts when I was in junior high (first time
I remember doing it,
anyway), for our church choir, and I often lifted music from recordings for my
high school choir
director, because what he wanted was not published.

Almost since I remember, I have been able to play by ear.  This does not mean
piddling around
until you find the right note.  This does mean that the notes you want come right
into your head
(as if placed there by God or whoever, goodness knows where they come from) and
you play
them, automatically, with no thought, accurately the first time, and that's that .

I am not really sure, however, that this is something that comes with absolute
pitch.  There is a
young man at our church, who I had in junior choir many years ago, who also has
this ability to
play by ear (he plays New Age and CCM at our CCM service), and I *know* (from when
he
was little) that he does not have absolute pitch, although I suspect he has a very

highly-developed form of relative pitch.  He does not read music and composes
music in his
head, actually remembering it all, note for note, from start to finish.  Whew!  I
suspect some of
you reading this have this ability, but most of us lose it when we learn to read
music, just as
children lose their great facility to memorize shortly after they began to read
the written word.

If you have absolute pitch you *never* have to learn to sight-sing using numbers,
or names of
notes,, or sol-feg, or intervals, or anything else at all.  You sight-sing in a
completely different
way from everyone else.  You sight-sing because you instantly know, on sight, what
each note
will sound like and, hopefully, you can put your voice there.  Actually, one might
say you
sight-sing as if you were playing it on an instrument, and the instrument is
inside your head, and
if someone has placed the piece in a different key from the one written, then you
transpose, just
like on an instrument.

Having absolute pitch means that you could come in cold, to direct a choir say,
look at your first
chord, and automatically *know* whether the first notes the choir sings are those
notes or not.
I mean, the *actual*, exact notes, not just whether it is the correct chord
somewhere around on
the right notes.

These things are why this ability makes learning music so efficient for the people
with this
ability.  They automatically *know* what it takes many people many years to
learn.  I would
suspect that most all of you can look at a piece of music and basically hear it in
your head.  I can
go through, say a hymn to keep a simple example, once, in my head, and recognize
the same
hymn a week or a month later, having *never heard it at all* and, on top of that,
know whether
it is in the correct key or not.  I can memorize a hymn from the way it sounds
without ever
actually hearing it.  Whether that comes from absolute pitch or not, I have no
idea.

Where all this overlaps what people without absolute pitch do or are able to do, I
have no idea.
I have never even discussed pitch with my sister who has the same ability.
Somehow, it never
needed to be talked about. it is just something you know and do, without thinking,
as natural as
breathing

As for recordings, I have only one thing to say about them.  I don't think
anything ever runs the
right speed.  Years ago, I realized that they are mostly off.  If, say, I were to
"lift" something from
a recording, and I couldn't decide what key it was suppposed to be in, I would
simply pick a close
key to it, label it that, and proceed.  No, I don't have to go find a piano to
decide what key it's in
on the recording, or what it is close to just know by hearing.

As for listening to music, I don't ever need to know what key anything is in to be
able to listen to
and enjoy it, any more than anyone else does.  On some level, I suppose I am
always *aware* of
it, but not on a conscious level.  If someone should say to me then, or later,
"what key is/was that
in?" I could tell them, or at least make an educated guess if it's on a recording;
but as for actually
thinking about it while listening, I don't . I rarely think about any key anything
is in, except say, a
high soprano hits an unusually high note, and, out of interest in how high she can
sing, I make a
mental note of what note it was.  That's fun to be able to do that.

I pitched the choirs through high school and college, and the madrigal group I was
in during each.
If my high school choir director wanted the choir to be pitched high because they
were flatting, I
would think the note in my head and then slightly sharp it when I hummed it for
them. (I didn‘t
completely sharp it, because then *I* would have had to be transposing in my head
to sing it, but
the need to transpose doesn't bother me so much anymore as it did when I was
young.  I adjust,
which I couldn't do then.) The only instance I really recall when I was pitching
choirs was the time
(in concert, of course) when I forgot what piece we were singing next and gave the
wrong pitch,
and everyone started out singing about a 5th low.  Yeek.

In answer to some other questions, it takes me perhaps a month to adjust to a
different tuning that
what I am currently accustomed to.  When my home instruments and the church
instruments were
tuned to two different A's, it really drove me Nutz, because, maybe I'm just a bit
lazy, but I don't
want to be bothered to sort it out.  These days, they're tuned to the same
A--easier that way.

As a musician, it tends to make anything to do with music theory incredibly easy
(except the
rhythm).  I loved music theory, breezed through it like nothing, and would have
liked to take lots
more, for it fascinates me.