tuner's responsibility. was Re: Dishonest Dealers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:54:55 EST

Rob:

I agree with many of the responses that said to turn this matter over to the
AG. But before you do turn this dealer in for fraud, you had better be sure
there is fraud. If this dealer is as savvy with the law as you say he is,
he'll sue you if he finds out you're behind the investigation, especially if
it turns out he is not doing anything wrong.

Which brings me to this point. To what extent should we, as piano tuners, go
to expose a dealer who does do something wrong?  Is it our responsibility to
report unscrupulous dealers to the authorities?

There are two sides to this debate.  One, as a source of income for
ourselves, if we "upset the apple cart," it can do us more harm than good if
dealers are fearful of us if we report what we perceive as dishonest deals.
One the other hand, we might be only ones who know when a dealers is doing
something wrong.  So perhaps it is our responsibility.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Wim.