First Tunelab experience, long

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 11:28:57 -0500

Hi List,

I thought I'd relate my first Tunelab 'experiment' used for real time =
tuning. =20

I had an SF-10 (Baldwin 7' grand) that I had to tune yesterday.  It's in =
a theatre setting.  They are having a particular show right now that =
required that it be tuned weekly, so I had tuned it aurally the last two =
weeks.  The first week, I spent some time and put on as nice a tuning as =
I thought I could (within a two hour time slot).  The second week, it =
sounded so good to me, that I did little more than touch up the unisons. =
 When I was just walking out the door, the stage manager stopped me and =
wanted to talk about a few notes that they had noticed that "didn't =
sound quite right".  Well, of course I stopped and listened.  They =
pointed out a couple of notes in the bass section, playing quadruple =
octaves (all four notes), letting them ring for 4 or 5 seconds.  The =
comment was "there was too much movement in there for a piano that's =
just been tuned."  They promptly disappeared into the black, never to be =
seen again.  I tried to 'adjust' the bass a bit more, trying to stretch =
out the octaves a bit more in hopes that what they were hearing was the =
higher partials clashing.  (I have a tendency not to stretch the bass =
out very much compared to other tuners.)  The double octaves were =
actually quite clean, being slightly wide.  I fussed with it for about =
another half hour, trying to put it somewhere that sounded good, and =
ended up pretty much giving up in frustration.  (The areas of complaint =
are at the breaks between plain wire and wound wire on the long bridge, =
but much more noticeably, at the break between long and bass bridges.  =
The first 4 or 5 notes on the bass bridge are next to impossible to find =
a comfortable spot for.)

So yesterday morning, I show up with my laptop, Tunelab, and several =
hours to spend.  I figured it would be worth a little extra time as a =
learning experience for me.

First thing I did was to just run my hands over the keyboard and listen. =
 Dang, I've heard concert tunings that didn't sound that good, and I =
hadn't started yet.  Next I put in my mute strips and fired up the =
computer.  I checked the pitch.  Dead on.  Well, I'm not so familiar =
with things, so it took a while to get all the inharmonicity readings I =
needed and run the Calcul8 program, but eventually, I figured it out. =20

I tuned, and tweaked, and tuned and tweaked in the middle register.  I =
wanted that sucker perfect!!  Well, I had to argue with Tunelab a bit =
here and there.  Once it reached the octaves in the wound strings on the =
long bridge, I think about E3?, it wanted to stretch them to the point =
where the beats in the octaves really bothered me.  So we haggled a bit =
there.  And as I tuned on up from the midsection, I noticed that the =
beat rates increased, but not as fast as I would have liked.  I didn't =
argue too much at this point, as I knew I'd be coming back to check on =
it later.

Then I proceeded to tune down the scale through the bass section.  It =
was using more stretch than I normally do, but not huge differences.

So, now that I've covered the piano pretty much from end to end, now I =
listen to the overall.  Sounds nice, except it sounds Flat!! in the top =
end.  The bass is not where I like it the best, but it sounds good with =
those big chords.

I pull out the temperament strips up through the midsection, leaving the =
top two sections in place.  The bass wasn't a big surprise.  I had to =
lower the pitch on some of them by almost a beat, but most weren't that =
bad. =20

The real surprise for me came in the midsection, up through the =
temperament area.  I played up through the area without the mute strips =
in (mind, I haven't tuned the unisons yet.)  I couldn't believe it.  =
Many of the unisons were completely still, with perhaps 2 dozen strings =
giving me a slight wwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.  That was =
a surprise.  I expected much worse.

The next thing I did, was to try to recalculate Tunelab with more =
stretch for the top end.  Eventually, I just gave in and tuned about the =
top two octaves to what sounded right to me. =20

When I was done, I thought it sounded nice, but I wasn't really as =
impressed as I'd hoped I would be. =20

It would appear that electronic tuning can make things very even, but =
I'm finding out that it won't do much for a bad scale design.  (This =
thing has had the wound strings replaced at least once, and perhaps =
more.  I don't know all of the history, so it might not be Baldwin's =
fault...)  In all honesty, I liked my original tuning better.  But I'm =
used to hearing that too.

If any of you have suggestions as to what I might have done right or =
wrong, feel free to send them along.  This electronic tuning is pretty =
new to me after a 20 year hiatus from the Peterson Strobotuner.

Thanks for the input.  Sorry if I've been a bit long winded.

I hope you're all having a nice weekend.  It's sunny and cool here, with =
just a gentle breeze.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA