Tuning Two Together

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:32:57 -0600

Newton et. al.,

Is this "standard procedure"?  I've only had to tune pianos together once.
Had a 7' Baldwin, Baldwin console, and Aeolian Mason & Hamlin upright.  What
I decided to do was to use the SAT and tune each to its own FAC numbers.  My
thinking was to get each piano in tune with itself, and they would have to
blend together like that.  What would have been best to do in this
situation?  I thought about averaging FAC's, but the Baldwin 7' was a church
sanctuary piano, and it needed to be tuned for normal use.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

*********

Aurally tune the better piano VERY carefully then tune the second to
the first.  Have the pianos keyboard t keyboard so you can cross
reference.  Octaves and unisons are most important not beat rates
except on the first piano.  Don't be surprised if the worse one sounds
not as good and the better one, this is inherent in tuning dissimilar
pianos together.

If you are use an SAT take the measurements from each piano,
carefully, then average the Fs, As, and Cs and use those values for
the tunings.

CHarge the price of tuning three pianos because of the extra time and
effort involved.

		Newton

Johannes28@AOL.COM wrote:

> Seasons Greetings to All!!
>
> I have a question about tuning two grands of different sizes to each
other.
> These pianos are played together.  One is a little tiny 4 foot piano, the
> other a 6 foot.  I know that if one is careful about setting them both to
the
> fork EXACTLY, and being very careful about temperament setting, the two
> pianos should sound ok together.  (Though extreme regions may not be in
tune
> due to the differences in scaling.)
>
> I've also heard that to really make sure they are going to be in good tune
> together with no funky wolves, you should get someone else to play
> temperament notes on the already tuned piano and compare the second piano
> it as you set your temperament.
>
> Anyone got any other ideas about how to make sure they come out perfect?
And