Scarves

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:44:37 -0500

Don't put anything on it. What's the point.

The sun will fade the finish color and if the top is covered it will end up
darker than the rest (and to the patter/shape of the scarf). One side will
fade more than the other due to the direction of the sunlight. If the sun is
directly on it, it will not stay in tune long and the finish will really dry
out.

I've found that even if the piano is not in direct sunlight but the room is
sunny,
the ambient radiant energy in the room is enough to make the piano tuning
unstable.

I bet they wouldn't think of putting the TV near a window where it would
fade/wash-out the picture, but then; that's something important. Even
though pianos cost more somehow they receive less regard, more like a table.

I'd advise placement in another part of the room or another room altogether.

A scarf would be like wearing a hat at the beach
and not expecting to get the rest of you sunburned.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 11:01 PM 12/16/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
> I have a client who just moved into a new house and her nice piano is now
>near a window. She wants to keep the sun off the piano but fears a running
>contention with her husband about keeping the curtains (sheers) closed. I
>mentioned something about piano scarves, and she jumped at the idea,
>wanting to know where these are sold. I guess I am thinking of some thin
>silk or silk-like fabric that is stylish enough and is big enough to cover
>the piano most times, to at least somewhat protect the finish from the
>sun's rays. What can I tell her? I told her I would put the question out to
>the list. She is decorator-savvy and has never seen anything marketed as
>such.
>Ken Jankura
>Newburg, PA

Click here for Free Video!!