Choice

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:18:53 +0100

Hmmm... the plot thickens a bit.. grin. Not knowing a thing about your dealer,
I have no idea how to advise you on this part, except to say that trust is
paramount in such dealings, and trust is something that is earned and built
over time. I assume you know what to do in this regard.

As far as checking whether or not Bechstein actually did the repair, jot down
the serial number on the piano and call them. They will certainly be able to
tell you whether they did the job or not. On the side, seems a bit odd that
such a piano would be shipped to Germany to be repaired, then shipped back to
the states to be sold in this fellows store, but... stranger things happen
often enough.

About the soundboard. You will find many who mean one thing, and many who mean
another. It is pretty much agreed upon that cracks in themselves have little
or nothing to do with the boards ability to radiat sound. They are indicitive,
however, of a less then er... perfect climatic life. As far as I know there is
no way of restoring the origional crown outside of removing the ribs while
repairing the board, but the rebuilding experts on the list will be able to
say more about that then I. Since the board was shimmed and not pulled and
glued together (common if ribs are removed), I gotta assume the ribs were not
removed. This points in the direction of somewhat reduced crown from its
origional new shape. That isnt necessarily bad. As long as there is some
crown, and the board is strong. If it sounds sweet, thats a good sign. You can
normally hear a dead spot in a bad board right away.

The longevity of the old board is to a very large degree a matter of climate
control. If it stays stable and within reasonable parameters, say 35 to 50 %,
it should do ok for a very long time. If not... well its old and cant take as
much such abuse as a newer board.

Check to see what kind of crown it has, give the board a good solid looking
over. Listen closely to the piano over all registers, and be sure this rough
sound you mention is not comeing from the board, but is an intonation matter.
If in doubt in the end, recommend the M&H. Better safe then sorry... or what ?

My advice, for what it is worth.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway