Temperament Setting Question

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:37:23 EST

piano_tunertx@yahoo.com writes:

> how do I determine if the problem is the F's or
>  the C#?

Assuming good F and A octaves, the ratios will tell you. For instance:

If C#4 is too high, there will be a large increase in speed between F3-A3 and
A3-C#4, AND A3-C#4/C#4-F4 will be too much the same; F4-A4 will then be a big
jump.

If (your octaves are good and) the F's are high, F3-A3 will be slow RELATIVE
to A3-C#4, C#4-F4 will be fast, and it will be too much the same as F4-A4.

If both are too high, there will be a sudden slowdown at F4-A4.

Much of this can be done by the "feel" of the speed of the intervals. The
slow, usually accepted, reliable way to count the 4:5 ratio is to listen to
the lower interval go "wah-wah-wah-wah" and establish a beat with your hand
every fourth wah, then play the contiguous third while keeping the beat
steady, and listening for "wah-wah-wah-wah-wah." However, you can get
surprisingly close by playing the contiguous thirds in rapid succession
(faster than you can count beats) and just listening for their "color" change
from one to the next. I am not talking about very advanced tuners; every one
can learn this. Playing the thirds in rapid succession causes a slow or fast
one to stick out.

Bob Davis
Stockton, CA