Perfect Pitch...Matthew

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 01:05:35 EST

In a message dated 12/15/99 9:46:10 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Greetings,
     I hear this statement a lot.  Invariably from "perfect pitch" people
that
 have never sat down at an equally tuned piano that is exactly1/2 step flat.
 However, I have had fresh stringing jobs in the shop that I chipped and
 pitched 1/2 step flat, and invite those that ascribe colors to ET to come
and
 listen.  It never fails that as I play in the key of C, they hear the
"color"
 of B. When I get into G, they always tell me that they recognize the colors
 in the key of F# when they hear it!!
     If there are different "colors" ascribed to keys in ET, it is a pitch
 dependant, learned response.  It is not due to the tempering.
 Regards,
 Ed Foote

Ed,
I think for the most part you are right.  It is difficult to say why I have a
different sense of color for different keys in ET.  I may be reacting to
tember as much as pitch.  It could be emotional memory.  I may be remembering
emotions I felt from different pieces in the same key. (If you look at the
totality of music written, esp. before the 20th cent. composers seemed to
associate certain emotional states with certain keys.)

Human memory is so complex it is difficult to always know how much our past
experience is impacting our current experience.  With that said I will grant
your point and have to try that experiment out on myself soon.

Andrew Remillard