Perfect Pitch

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:27:25 +0100

I keep seeing this tone color thing comming up again and again, and cant help
think that it is used in at least two (undefined yet differerent) meanings. I
wonder if the tone color you refer to in HT is really something quite removed
from tone color purportedly heard in ET. Tone color is another one of these
concepts/words (as "perfect pitch" is) that really has not been so very very
investigated or well defined. Perhaps you might expound a bit on what you
yourself mean with regard to tone color in the two ??

Also, as a third usage, I hear folks refer to different types of pianos as
haveing different tone colors. "I like the color of this Steinway much more
then that Yamaha" one might say.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G. N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway