Choice

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:16:24 -0800

List,

I have a Hotel which just informed they are opening a new
fancy restaurant.  They want a ebony, high polish seven foot
grand.  I was sent to look at a Bechstein B, built at the turn of
the century and restored in the Bechstein factory.  It is
beautiful!  Those round turned legs.  Here is what was done:
New Renner action, (The tone is raw like it hasn't been voiced
or gone over), numerous ivories replaced (well-done but the
color  match isn't so great) new pinblock, restrung, case and
plate refinished (fabulous, like a new, hey it is new!).  Here is
the kicker though, the soundboard was shimmed and repaired,
refinished and  original bridge.  Shimming work was
immaculate.  Now they can get a brand new Mason & Hamlin
BB for same price that the dealer is asking for the Bechstein.
My advice was to go for the BB rather than take a chance on
a 100 year old board.  Unfortunately I think the designer is
going to really love those Bechstein legs.

What do you think?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net