perfect pitch

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:58:27 EST

In a message dated 12/13/1999 6:49:22 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<< Many people over the years have claimed to me that they have perfect =
 pitch. When I ask them to be more specific on this, they start to cool =
 off.  One person when asked what note I was playing on the piano went =
 cold on the idea altogether.  To me, having perfect pitch means being =
 able to detect or aurally produce a note within a maybe a few beats, but =
 no one has demonstrated to me that they can get that close.  I would =
 imagine that singers would be pretty accurate, but not perfect.  Any =
 comments?

 Brian Holden =20

Brian,

As a List-lurker, I rarely chime in, but this is my area.  The College Music
Society's theory teachers' List has been discussing this subject off and on
for nearly as long as the "temperament wars" have been going on.  And with
about the same success, I might add!

Being so afflicted, I have several points to make, and I'll shut up.
1.  It is not "perfect," as such, any more than we all see colors in exactly
the same way--how would we know, anyway?  Some have greater sensitivity to
pitch, others merely get "close enough."
2.  There seems to be a certain percentage of the population with this
aptitude, whether or not it is ever realized, either by the desire to study
music and find out, or the opportunity to do so.  It is not, in and of
itself, any indicator of talent or ability.  Talent and a buck can buy a
cheap cup of coffee, these days, anyway!
3.  Many people with "pitch" have elected NOT to become musicians, as they
have discovered that much more is required, and that some of it necessitates
actual WORK to achieve.  Having said that, it CAN be of help in many
situations for the professional musician who works with the aptitude to make
it more reliable.

Is it important?  Maybe, maybe not.  Is it necessary?  No.  Would I give it
up?  Illogical question, since I cannot.  Am I glad I have it?  Same answer,
I suppose.

But then, I know many exceptional musicians who do NOT have pitch, so it
cannot be any sort of requirement.

As Conrad says, "Flame suit at the ready, sir!"

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL