Two Loose Pins

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:47:45 EST

In a message dated 12/11/99 7:26:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
JPIESIK@arinc.com writes:

<< This involves a 4 foot 8 inch, no-name grand [expletive deleted], 1920s
vintage, fair-poor condition, nice refinishing job, [expletive deleted]
design. >>

Remember those "expletive deleted from the Nixon Watergate days?  The kind of
vulgar and cynical attitude he had about his job is what lead to his
resignation, in my opinion. That having been said, aside from the CA glue
remedies, there is a more extensive and refined repair that you could do if
you think it would make the piano better.  It would, after all, be worth some
real money to do this.

You could use a Falconwood plug.  You would bore out the plate and pinblock
to accept one of their smaller sized plugs that are ideal for this kind of
repair.  I forget their exact size because it was some 15 years ago that I
did rebuilding work.  But there were 2 sizes, a regular (I think 1/2") and a
small (I think 3/8") for certain repairs where tuning pins were very close
together.

If we did a pinblock plugging job which is especially effective on a vertical
or a grand where the removal and replacement of an odd type pinblock that is
structurally a part of the case, we used the small sized plugs in the low
tenor, where the pins are very close together.  There may possibly have even
been the alignment problem you bring up.

You would need to be set up just as well and properly as if you were going to
drill the entire pinblock.  You could, however, have a drill press jigged up
just for those 2 holes.  You would need to determine the exact width from the
top of the plate to the bottom of the pinblock with some large calipers that
would reach the area.  That distance may be estimated by looking at it from
the front or by simply passing a piece of piano wire down through the hole,
stopping it with your finger at the other end and pinching it off at the top
to reveal the real dimension.

Measure the length of your plug and set your drillpress to drill exactly that
much from the top of the plate.  If the plug is as long as the distance from
the bottom of the pinblock to the top of the plate, you would need to trim
the plug a bit.  Your hole drilled for the plug should leave about 1/8" of
original pinblock.  You can use epoxy, medium CA glue or really any wood glue
to glue in the plug.  If your fit is a bit loose, the gap filling properties
of Epoxy or CA glue will help secure the plug.  When your glue is cured,
drill the new holes at the exact angle and center of the plug.

To correct the alignment problem, you will need to change the position of one
or maybe even both holes.  That would mean boring your big hole for the plug
off center.  You would need to drill at high speed and slowly so that the
hole in the plate and pinblock do not redirect your drill.  The speed of
drilling for the plug and the tuning pin are quite different considerations.

Drive the plug flush with the plate.  If your plug is a bit too long, you
could leave up to 1/16" protruding above the plate.  It will also serve as
its own plate bushing.  You will need to use the right sized drill bit for
this material: .271 or .272, as I recall.  Your drilling angle and centering
are important so that your hole remains within the new material you put
there.  Also, the speed of your drilling is critical because Falconwood is
much more dense than other pinblock material.  If you drill too small, your
pin will be way too tight.  If you drill carelessly, you'll have to use an
oversized pin and maybe even end up using CA to make your repair effective.

It just may be that this customer cares about this piano a lot.  If she/he
does, it would be worth the trouble of making a truly effective repair and
correction of the alignment problem.

Just another idea.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin