Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:05:52 PST

Dear Newton,

   I for one am happy you raised the question.  If we want to learn what is
true about something, we need to explore everything about it we can.

   I originally went to the customer's house the day before Thanksgiving and
on the way in her mother-in-law was leaving so we were introduced.  She told
her mother-in-law that I had come to tune the piano for their party so that
when she was there tomorrow, it would sound much better.  I erroneously
believed that therefore the party was on Thanksgiving day.

   When I saw the mess that the pins and coils were in, I figured that I had
no choice but to try to tune it so that it would sound as good as possible.
I started out with a pitch raise which I perservered through inspite of the
gardeners and their leafblower outside the window where the piano was,
figuring they had to do their job getting ready for the big event too.

   I had been taught that it was necessary to have the pins about 3/16"
above the plate and the windings of the coils snugged up against each other
so the piano would stay in tune and I was worrying the whole time whether it
would stay in tune for the party, but thinking, like you that if it was that
way since 1973, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem.  Other things I noticed
were that the color of the paint around the Chickering emblem on the plate
was a different color gold than the rest of the plate, and the customer
pointed out that there was a run in the paint near there.  Many of the pins
were well over 1/4" high, but they seemed tunable.  I took torque readings
on several and got measurements of 50-55 and even up to 65"lbs.

  I was starting the fine tuning when the husband arrived home and heard
about my concerns and came in and spoke with me.  He said the party wasn't
until Dec. 11th! and if I thought we should do it, go ahead.

  I actually would prefer to NOT do it.  The reason I dress coils and level
pins as I go is that I find it too tiring to do all at once.  Pounding pins
in with a two pound sledge is not my favorite thing to do, especially in the
customer's home!

  If you can convince me that we shouldn't worry about an unstable tuning,
all I will need to do is go finish the fine tuning, collect my money and be
free (I already agreed to not charge any extra for the tunings over my
original tuning quote, so I would come out ahead financially as well as time
wise.)

  The only way I know to be sure that it would be stable would be to do the
fine tuning and then go back some time later and find out how well it held.
  I am open to all and any ideas.
  Diane