Wheels Rollin' Along...

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 09:43:46 -0600

Howdeee...

You may recall my recent post about the unique German-like legs
on a 9', one of which suffered the fate of breaking, (ouch).  My
search for a proper replacement was a complete failure so I
decided to rebuild the broken one.  With great skill that only an
experienced expert craftsman could do, <snicker snicker>, I
purchased some maple stock and duplicated the entire top portion
of the leg.  It came out beautiful.  I doubt anyone will ever
know that it had broken, <patting self on back>. ;-)

So anyway...  The casters on this thing are the huge German type
with the double wheels and the built in brake knob to lock it.
One of the wheels does not turn very easily even with the brake
off.  I tried a little oil , (caster oil of course- pun
intended), but the result was the same.  I am thinking that the
brake mechanism may not be fully retracting when it is off.  The
system is not visible beyond the handle and thus the wheel will
need to be disassembled to repair whatever is wrong with it.

PROBLEM:  How do you disassemble these wheels??  There does not
appear to be any removable parts other than an allen screw to
remove the end of the brake handle.  Looking t the wheel
hub/axel, it appears to be solid brass neatly passing through the
heavy outer brass frame.  It does not appear necessarily to be a
forced friction compression fit.  I can't imaging that the
manufacturer did not intend for this thing to be serviceable,
particularly with the brake attachment.  I bet this single wheel
probably cost over $100.00, there has to be a way to maintenance
it!  Has anyone taken one of these big wheels apart?  Howdja do
it??

Rob Goodale, RPT