Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:18:39 -0600

Diane,
If it is all pins and coils, I would allow 4 hours.
Dale
Dale Probst
Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Arlington, VA--July 5-9,2000
wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Diane Hofstetter
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 3:51 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Dear list;

  Was called to tune a 1973 Story & Clark grand just before Thanksgiving for
a party.  Found the tuning pins at all different heights and the coils were
a mess.  Customer insisted parents bought the piano new in 1973 and it had
never been restrung, so I guess it came from the factory that way? The piano
was grossly flat and it turned out the party wasn't until Dec. 11 so I
talked them into having me straighten the coils and level the pins.  I
couldn't figure out what to charge them, but since I was just about to
string a piano, thought that I would know in a few days.

  Turns out I don't string that way at all, but dress the coils after every
few pins and level after each section, so don't know how long it will take!
I would guess about 2-3 hours??  Anyone have any input on this for me?

  Thanks!
  Diane