update on Steinway/new questions

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:25:43 -0600

List,

A few weeks ago I wrote to the list about a Steinway grand that had been
refinished and restrung, but had had no bridge repair done.  It had many
false beats, and was virtually untuneable.  At the request of the customer,
I had asked the list if anyone would use larger bridge pins than the
original.  (I had recommended the epoxy repair, but the rebuilders had
suggested oversize pins.)

Friday afternoon and Saturday were spent in the repair of this piano.  This
was my first epoxy repair of this magnitude, so it was kinda neat getting to
do all of it.  :-)  I did epoxy repair on the treble bridge except for the
section under the overstrung bass, to which I applied thin CA glue to save a
little on time since I had been working almost non-stop for 7 hours on
detensioning and epoxying the upper treble part.  I wanted to re-tension the
following day--it was 8:30 p.m.--and CA seemed the best solution considering
all factors.  The repair worked very well, except for the very top section,
just past the last strut.  (I think I had not put enough epoxy into the
holes on a few.  This is where I began, and I realized this error soon, so
this mistake was not made in the rest of the bridge.  I will remedy this
later with CA.)

Two main questions have emerged, which follow.  One is bridge related, and
the other is related to tuning pin height.

1) I had ordered 1" pins, planning to tap them in a touch further than the
original, then file to proper height.  However, the pins were already 1" so
I put in extra epoxy.  After putting enough epoxy into the holes, I noticed
that as I tapped the new pins into the epoxy-filled hole, the previously
tapped adjacent pin came up as its neighbor was being tapped in.  I assumed
that there were pretty sizable gaps in the bases of the holes, which allowed
the epoxy to "travel" over to the neighboring hole.  Is this normal, and is
that what was happening?  Since 1" pins were what I replaced, had this
bridge seen repair before???  Would that have caused the gap/trough at the
bottom?

2) When retensioning the strings, I noticed that the bottom of the coils on
the tuning pins in the capo section were anywhere from 6 - 1.1 mm from the
plate.  While tuning, the pins that section were flagpoling and/or
"springy," making it hard to get the string into a stable position.  I did
the best I could, knowing that the tuning was not going to last anyway.  I
wondered if the pin height was a little too high--wouldn't that cause the
flagpoling?  Reblitz suggests an average coil height of 5mm above the plate.
I am thinking of suggesting to the customer that I drive the pins to 4-5mm
from the plate.  This should cause the string to have a little more friction
on the upper part of the plate and might make for an easier and more stable
tuning.  What are your thoughts?

Any tips or suggestions about things I left out would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS