Baldwin SF Grand and hazardous environment

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 09:18:53 -0700 (MST)

Hi Doug:

Those "sleds" on the SF10 are the forward termination pieces. The little
"buttons" close to the strings are the allen-head screws which attach the
piece to the Capo Bar. The only way I can imagine the string hitting those
screws is if for some reason they were not screwed in tight in the first
place.

These termination pieces are the replacement for the earlier termination
Bars which came out on the SD10 in the mid 60s. These pieces are a
result of much experimentation in the late 60s and early 70s. The original
bars were straight, necessitating an alteration of the hammer line to
keep the strikepoints reasonably close to where they should be. The newer
pieces allowed a curved termination line at the Capo and hence a straight
hammerline. These hardened steel pieces also have a very special plating
which provides better lubricity for the string movements.

Jim Coleman, Sr.