What would you do?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:28:56 EST

In a message dated 12/2/99 6:04:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, kam544@flash.net
writes:

<< Unsubscribing because you have arrived at some independent
 conclusions on your part based on erroneous information, while would be
 unfortunate to the Pianotech list somewhat, would ultimately be your loss a
 whole bunch. >>

I'd have to agree with Keith here.  Not joining PTG or not participating here
would be a very small loss for us but a big one for you.  People don't join
the organization and pass the Exams just so they can put three letters after
their name, hardly.

Piano technicians historically have practiced a trade which has no universal
standards.  PTG has come a long way towards providing, establishing and
advancing  standards.  Often, there are opposing views, one person's ideas
and practices seem to contradict another's.  In time, however, we all
eventually learn the value of both sides of the argument.

I have seen both the use of Dampp-Chaser humidity control systems and CA glue
disrecommended and scoffed at.  I can give you plenty of reasons why you
should never use either one.  I can also give you plenty of reasons and
instances in which they will both be effective in solving problems.  So, in
your opinion, I may not be an "expert" because I supposedly don't know when
to use a Dampp-Chaser instead of CA glue but I can promise you that if you
stick around and especially if you earn those three letters, you'll
eventually find that your point is quite moot.

I've learned virtually everything I know about piano technology from PTG, am
very grateful for that and owe the very nice life style I have entirely to my
membership and participation with it.  Without PTG, I wouldn't be a piano
technician.  I often come up with ideas and viewpoints which are
controversial, perhaps it's just my nature, I'm not sure.  But I can assure
you that no matter how far flung some of the topics or ideas I bring up may
be, their source has always been from within the organization.

Gee, what ever happened to the guy who started this thread?  He must really
be enjoying reading all the responses.  "What do you do with a cheap, new
Chinese made piano with loose tuning pins?"  Watch out!  What a loaded
question that turned out to be!  I'm afraid that even a little anti-Communist
sentiment and Xenophobia may have influenced the discussion.  It's all
healthy and worthwhile, though.

It's your choice, Roy.  The ship will sail with or without you.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin