Insects

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:53:21 -0700 (MST)

Hi Mark:

In our area, we have only two kinds of bugs that do this type of damage.
The carpet beetle is a furry little thing, not as long as a center pin,
but a little thicker. It likes dry weather. The other kind are moths which
do not grow here in Arizona but usually come with a piano from someplace
else. They leave a thinner exoskeleton, which is about as long as a
clipped centerpin and about that thick. Both of these just love untreated
felt. Color does not seem to bother them one way or the other. Their
excretions will be the same color as the felt which they ate. Hungry little
buggers they are.

Jim Coleman, Sr.