Samick legs

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:38:58 -0600

Hi Tom,
            An easy fix.
1. Remove leg.
2. Take a block of wood and hammer and knock the console and leg back flush.
3. Tape the crack with PVC electrical tape. The epoxy will not stick to
this like masking tape. It also stretches to create a water proof dam to
prevent dribbles down the leg.
Guess how I know. <g>
4.  We use the very thin West system epoxy to fill the cracks and voids.
5. Leave 24hrs to set.

We have repaired dozens of these legs in this manner, with good results.

Do the pedal lyre while you have the piano on it's side, top and bottom for
insurance.

Hope this helps.
Roger

 08:00 PM 30/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I tuned my first ever Samick grand today, a WSG-185 (with Pianodisk).
>Since it was originally sold in Phoenix, the piano has been moved twice
>and the movers observed, after setting it up this last time, that the
>legs were wobbly.
>
>On two of the legs (tail and treble), I noticed that a business card
>could be slid easily into the joint between the top of the tapered
>square part and the part that screws to the underside of the keybed or
>console (don't these parts have names?). So if there is a dowel holding
>the assembly together, it has slipped out a little and is standing the
>parts off from each other, just enough to make a "squicha-squicha" noise
>and permit the wobbliness.
>
>The piano is two years old. The customer called Samick who told her to
>get an estimate from a technician. What I need to know first is how can
>this repair be accomplished without disturbing the polyester finish? I'm
>guessing that I should be able to drill out a dowel from the top.
>However, there was no time during the appointment to check the top of
>one of the legs to see how they are fastened together so I'm hoping
>there is someone out there who has experience with this repair. Also,
>what size allen wrench is needed to remove the legs? Any other
>tips/precautions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Tom
>
>--