My legs are giving me a headache.

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:46:14 EST

In a message dated 11/30/99 5:32:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, rrg@nevada.edu
writes:

<< Howdy,

 I have had a not so fun afternoon.  When I reported to the
 performing arts center this morning I was told that the tail leg
 on the Steinway had busted off.  I quickly ran down to check.
 Sure enough there it was, sadly slumped over like a drunk piano
 player.  The remains was laying on the floor, broken clean
 through the dowel at the base.  Of course the bad news couldn't
 end there.  That piano is needed for a concerto competition on
 Thursday.

 Perhaps it could be fixed if enough shop effort was put into it
 but at his particular moment I don't have that kind of time.  I
 got on the phone today to see if I could get Steinway to send a
 new leg via Fed-Ex.  No dice, it would take weeks.  Under the
 circumstances for now it looks like we are going to temporarily
 move a piano in from another location.

 These legs have extra large wheels somewhat like a Hamburg.
 Never previously needing to know or care I was under the
 impression that someone simply put the larger wheels on the
 original legs.  Upon closer inspection, however, I see now that
 these legs are in fact different then a normal Steinway leg.
 This would of course make sense because the larger diameter wheel
 would otherwise raise the piano too high.  Cutting down a normal
 Steinway leg would look strange to say the least.  Although the
 face plate portion seems normal the actual legs are shorter.
 Clearly these legs are specifically designed for large wheels.
 Thus now I'm attempting to determine the origin of these legs.
 Does Steinway sell Hamburg legs in lacquer finish for New York
 pianos?

 Rob Goodale, RPT

Is it possible to jerry rig the piano, prop it up in order to get it through
the competition?

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR